Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Negatives (merged threads) Options
CpVb006
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:38:17 AM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I tried to smooth out the translation a bit. Great job, and thanks a million, DawnTreader.

---

Dear Eric,

Today was a strange day. It’s difficult for me to separate the inside from the outside. To separate what I think from what I know. Sometimes that is what it’s like. I have dark areas in my mind. Injuries and holes whose bottom I can’t see, no matter how hard I try. The holes are everywhere and when you think about them them, you can’t stop thinking about them. Some holes are dark wells containing only echoes, while others contain dark water in their depths. Inside them I can see a distant full moon, and the silhouette of a person looking back at me. The shape terrorizes me. Is it me down below? Is it you? Maybe it isn’t anyone. The view becomes a reflection and…something more, something else. Something I knew, and maybe lost, or maybe not. I know this doesn’t make sense, but sometimes the strangest things are essential. It’s as if the labels have fallen off, and were put back in the wrong places. I write what seems important, and even when I read it back, it means nothing, and I leave it as is, because what do I know anyway? Don’t lose faith in me, Eric.

Where is everything going? I wrote so many things that aren’t here anymore. Things are lost, and that’s life, but…but. Last night, I dreamt there were five red wardrobes. Four were full and I locked them up somewhere. Was this a dream of the last wreckages of a sunken memory? You know what I mean. Inside and out. Object and reflection. Front and back. Positive and negative. I think I am making things more confusing, rather than clarifying them. I will stop writing now.

Regret and hope,
Eric
DawnTreader
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:41:51 AM
Groups: Shoal

Thanks for the correction, it help me to see where I mistake.
luci_fragile
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 9:39:07 PM

hi there,
I finished reading the novel few days ago. it's one of the most intriguing readings of this year. I decided to dig the internet cause I wanted to know something more about the whole story and I ran into this thing of hidden 'negatives'.
well, I'm a bit mental... and I like challanges too so I thought it was worth it trying to learn something more about these negatives.
Just to know if I'm on the right path, I wanted to ask you if the third part of the light bulb fragment is in your edition of the book.
cause at the very end of my italian edition there is a chapter called 'The light bulb fragment (third part/codified paragraph)' which starts with the word 'everything' written with arrows. This third part of the fragment is the second text codified with the QWERTY code.

oh, btw happy new year!

PS: sorry for my bad english!
Sophieness
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 10:33:02 PM

:D yay! We have an Italian-edition-reader on board! Exciting times ahead...

Does 'The Light Bulb Fragment' have Negative 28 as a heading? Or at the end of the text? If it does, a scanned image of the pages would be a great start to all of our New Years (well, it would give me something to do because its wayyy too hot to go outside today)

P.S. Did anyone on the other side of the world have a snowy christmas? ^_^
luci_fragile
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:27:13 PM

sorry, I have to post this to be allowed to post urls
luci_fragile
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:32:12 PM

ok, it seems I cannot post urls until tomorrow...crap
anyway, I found another topic of this forum about a blog post that says that the italian negative isn't actually tagged as a negative.
the fragment is about eric's first times after clio's death. let me know if it's it. and I'll translate it.

erm, will I win anything in the end af all this? :wink:
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:58:38 PM

luci_fragile wrote:

erm, will I win anything in the end af all this? :wink:

self satisfaction. ;)

If you want to message me the link I will post it for you.
Sophieness
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:51:31 AM

Its 'it', even if 'it' is untagged ^_^ Negatives negatives bring so many positives!

But why would it be untagged? Eva?...
MiaVRO
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 3:57:05 PM

I'm not quite sure if anyone has noticed this or not, but the 'Undex' holds the words 'Thirty-Six'... And I thought that was a little strange, so i checked the first two pages listed under the stated words, and the first two pages come up with references to film or pictures. 36 exposures. Steven Hall mentioned that if you look closley at the novel you will understand why the 'un-chapters' are called negatives. The Negatives are the 36 missing photos from Eric's past!! Aha! Did i make a discovery? Or am i just kidding myself?
-mia
marsjams13
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 7:01:35 PM

That's an intriguing theory.
G.
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:44:17 PM

On the Dutch TRST website there's a link called 'Kat gezocht'. Translated this means 'Cat lost/Cat being searched'. If you click on it, you get a poster of the cat also used on some covers of TRST with a Dutch text under it. The text says (roughly translated!):

'Who has seen my big red cat? He ran off last Friday in the neighborhood of the Stadionplein. He has big green eyes, a white neck and listens to the name Ian. He loves tuna. Will you send me a mail when you find him?'

Do you think that this is a hint for a negative? The Stadionplein is a big square in Amsterdam with a lot of buildings and green. A perfect hiding place?

Should I go and look for Ian?

The link to the Dutch TRST website is www dot gehaaid dot nu.
marsjams13
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:59:09 AM

Yes, go do it. Report back when you find something. i will have to live vicariously through you.

Thanks for the link. :)

Edit: If i'm not mistaken, the earliest version of the English TRST website had something similar. i'm not sure if it led to anything.
Oren
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 12:25:03 PM

have negative 11 been posted yet ?

if no , i got it , in the isreal edition theres Nagitve 11 .
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 1:09:51 PM

Negative 11 has not been posted yet! Excellent news. I can't wait to see it.

There is a listing of the negatives that are found in the Red Cabinet if you have further curiosity.

Welcome!
Oren
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 1:44:55 PM

N - 11

Cal.
Calio
yes?
are you awake?
Now Yes
sory
... ...
Cal i feel strange
What do you mean strange ?
I feel like i forgot something important,like left something somewhere by mistake.
Everyone feel like that sometimes. But this did not really happen , beside if you have forgotten somefhing it sign you dont really need it. so dont worry .
... ...
You still worried.
Yes , its like theres ... There is a part of me, right under my ribs which is supposed to be there but its gone.
I have a strange kind of feeling that I should know what is not there, but I can not put my finger on it..
... ... ...
I sound crazy.
Yes, but I think I know what you mean.
And I have a bad feeling. like something bad to happen
Let me ... Nothing bad is happening to you or me, and you are not missing any part of you. Everything all right. Everything all right and you will feel better in the morning..
Thanks.
Shh ... close your eyes and Think about breakfast.
I feel better.
This is what I thought.
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 1:55:57 PM

Interesting. If you've got a scanner or a camera. A picture of the negative would be very cool as well.
heartbreak
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:54:03 PM

That's actually a passage from Infinite Jest, what the hell?
Ellimist
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 4:27:38 AM

And his name is 'Or[i]n'... I think he's messing with us.

However, while I recognize that conversation between Hal and Mario(?), I cannot seem to find it...

Edit: found it. p. 39, Mario and Hal... but the conversation is unlike what Oren posted.
benedict
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:06:28 PM

actually, i think there is a negative in the israeli edition of the raw shark texts... so if anyone can validate (or invalidate) oren's post, that would be great. i've searched on-line, but have not been able to find that edition so far...

also, just came across this german site
cgsheldon
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:31:00 PM

benedict wrote:
also, just came across this german site

Raw Shark as Pacman?! Ha!

Their "Leseprobe" PDF doesn't appear to have anything new, but then again I don't speak German...

As for the Hebrew edition, Ynet.co.il published this excerpt (here's Google Translate's version); apparently it's published in Hebrew as Shark Memory ("כריש זיכרון").