Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Negatives (merged threads) Options
heartbreak
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 3:07:55 PM
Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

marsjams13 wrote:
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess heartbreak.

Prove me wrong. i dare you.

You know you want it.

:D Yeah.... Unfortunately, it will have to wait, no real free cash right now, applying for universities and buying Christmas gifts have sucked it all up.
benedict
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:28:59 PM

check out the cool website for the brazilian edition (which will get negative 8!).
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:30:23 PM

benedict wrote:
check out the cool website for the brazilian edition (which will get negative 8!).

Hell yes! That kicks ass. :D
marsjams13
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:34:44 PM
Groups: Shoal

Yeah it does.

Heartbreak - i hear you. Financial obligations are a bitch. Someday though, eh?
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:44:14 PM

marsjams13 wrote:
Yeah it does.

Heartbreak - i hear you. Financial obligations are a bitch. Someday though, eh?

Maybe, we'll see. My lady already looks at me strange for all the copies of House of Leaves.
marsjams13
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:58:48 PM

It's not strange, it's fucking amazing is what it is.
:D
And yeah, I only have 4 copies of HoL (and 4 of TRST) and i get the same thing.
heartbreak
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:10:58 PM

At some point I probably will break down and start collecting all The Raw Sharks.

I'd like to finish my House of Leaves collection first. Which might take awhile as I need to get a blue galley, the 40 page preview, a blue hardback JT, and hopefully someday a blue hardback PHL, oh and an blue hardback, so if you know anyone thats got any of those and wants to sell send em my way. :D
vineetpatel
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 4:22:29 PM

Anyone managed to translate neg 8 from the Brazilian web??
marsjams13
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 5:12:15 PM

i don't think anyone has it yet.

heartbreak wrote:
At some point I probably will break down and start collecting all The Raw Sharks.
Well you already have what, The Uk limited, The US, and The Canadian editions right? (Plus the Aquarium Fragment). Damn that's starting to sound like a collection.
:twisted:
heartbreak wrote:

I'd like to finish my House of Leaves collection first. Which might take awhile as I need to get a blue galley, the 40 page preview, a blue hardback JT, and hopefully someday a blue hardback PHL, oh and an blue hardback, so if you know anyone thats got any of those and wants to sell send em my way. :D
I remember seeing a PHL once online for $1500 dollars. I do have a Blue HB JT, but a man's gotta collect right? I've been watching out for galleys and previews myself but they are so rare. But you have no cash anyway, what are you doing talking about these things?

:wink:
cgsheldon
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 5:51:18 PM

vineetpatel wrote:
Anyone managed to translate neg 8 from the Brazilian web??

If you are referring to this PDF it looks like a translated version of chapter one; negative 8 doesn't appear to be on the site, near as I can tell.
heartbreak
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:07:05 PM

marsjams13 wrote:
Well you already have what, The Uk limited, The US, and The Canadian editions right? (Plus the Aquarium Fragment). Damn that's starting to sound like a collection.
:twisted:

And a signed Uk and a Blue US Galley. :D

marsjams13 wrote:
I remember seeing a PHL once online for $1500 dollars. I do have a Blue HB JT, but a man's gotta collect right? I've been watching out for galleys and previews myself but they are so rare. But you have no cash anyway, what are you doing talking about these things?

:wink:

The one PHL I've seen for sale is up to $2000. If you ever do decide to part ways with that JT let me know. :D No cash right now, but in a few months it will be better and hey a man can dream can't he? :D
DawnTreader
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 4:39:43 PM

First, Sorry about my English, he is really bad because I’m from Brazil. As you know my language is Portuguese, so…
Well, I have the Negative 8, but it is in Portuguese. I will try to translate that to English and send for you.
You are all from UK, right?? You have made a good work there discovering all that things. The book has just been released here this week, so nobody here finish to read him yet.
That’s it! I will translate and write there the Negative 8. I will do this on this weekend and I will try to write there on Monday.
benedict
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 4:50:16 PM

DawnTreader wrote:
First, Sorry about my English, he is really bad because I’m from Brazil. As you know my language is Portuguese, so…
Well, I have the Negative 8, but it is in Portuguese. I will try to translate that to English and send for you.
You are all from UK, right?? You have made a good work there discovering all that things. The book has just been released here this week, so nobody here finish to read him yet.
That’s it! I will translate and write there the Negative 8. I will do this on this weekend and I will try to write there on Monday.

that would be great! thanks a lot! any chance you can also post some photos of negative 8? and welcome to unspace.
DawnTreader
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 5:06:47 PM

Photo will be impossible to me, but I will try to take this with someone.
heartbreak
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 5:34:43 PM

Welcome to the site DawnTreader. Awesome name and avatar. I think our membership is largely from the US and the UK.
DawnTreader
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:54:48 AM

As I promise, there is the Negative 8. I am Sorry because the translation don’t is perfect, but you will understand. If I find some serious error on the translation I will come there and fix that. If you don’t understand something, write the doubt there and I will fix the translation.
Ok. First, the Portuguese version:

[Negativo 8]

(Recebida em: 3 de março)
Carta nº. 175

Prezado Eric

Hoje foi um dia estranho. Está difícil separar o dentro e o fora, as coisas que penso das coisas que sei. Às vezes é assim. Há áreas escuras em minha mente. Feridas e buracos imensos cujo fundo não consigo enxergar, por mais que eu me concentre.
Os buracos estão em toda parte e, depois que você os percebe, não consegue parar. Alguns são poços escuros com ecos e outros têm água negra parada nas profundezas. Dentro deles posso ver uma distante lua cheia e a silhueta recortada de uma pessoa, olhando de volta pra mim. O contorno me deixa aterrorizado. Sou eu lá embaixo? Ou você? Talvez não seja ninguém. A vista se torna o reflexo – e... algo mais, outra coisa. Algo que conheci e talvez perdi, ou talvez não. Sei que o que escrevo não faz sentido, mas às vezes as coisas mais estranhas são essenciais para mim. Como se os rótulos tivessem caído e fossem recolocados no lugar errado. Escrevo o que parece ser importante; mesmo quando releio e não significa nada, deixo como está, pois o que sei? Não perca a fé em mim, Eric.
Pra onde foi tudo? Escrevi muita coisa que agora não está aqui. As coisas se perdem e é assim a vida, mas... Mas. Ontem à noite, sonhei que havia cinco armários vermelhos. Quatro estavam cheios e eu os tranquei em algum lugar. Terá sido um sonho ou os últimos destroços de uma lembrança afundada? Você sabe o que eu quero dizer. Dentro e fora. Objeto e reflexo. Frente e trás. Positivo e negativo. Acho que estou deixando as coisas mais confusas, em vez de esclarecê-las. Vou parar de escrever agora.

Pesar e esperança,
Eric
DawnTreader
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:56:00 AM

Now, the english version:

[Negative 8]

(Received in: March, 3)
Letter nº 175

Dear Eric

Today was a strange day. It is difficult to me separate the inside from the outside. The things that I think from the thinks that I know. Sometimes is like that. Have dark areas in my mind. Injuries and deep holes whose fund I can’t see, for more that I concentrate.
The holes are everywhere and, when you perceive them, you can’t stop. Some are dark wells with echoes and others have stopped dark water in the depths. Inside them I can see a distant full moon and the cut silhouette of a person, looking back to me. The contour makes me terrorized. It is me below? Or are you? Maybe doesn’t be anybody. The view become the reflex – and… something more, another thing. Something that I knew and maybe I lose, or maybe not. I know that what I write don’t make sense, but sometimes the strangest things are essentials to me. As if the labels had fallen and were replaced in the wrong place. I write what seems important; even when I read again and means nothing, I leave as is, because what I know? Don’t lose your faith in me, Eric.
Where going everything? I wrote so many things that don’t is hear anymore. Things are lost and that is the life, but… But. Last night, I dreamed that there were five red wardrobes. Four was full and I lock them in somewhere. Was this a dream or the lasts wreckages of memory sank? You know what I mean. Inside and outside. Object and reflex. Front and back. Positive and negative. I think I am leaving things more confusing, rather than clarify them. I will stop to write now.

Weigh and hope,
Eric
DawnTreader
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:57:23 AM

DawnTreader
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:03:10 AM

Some of us in Brazil win the book on a ARG. With the book came this url naoespaco.com.br (translate: Unspace). Have some information about all the things of the book. Is all in portuguese but have videos too. One of the videos is the lamp fragment http://naoespaco.com.br/?p=7. Have you see before this video? We are traing to decodify him, like Sanderson do. Maybe we can found something interesting.
cgsheldon
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:08:53 PM

Thank you for your efforts in translating that negative for us. Very much appreciated.

DawnTreader wrote:
One of the videos is the lamp fragment http://naoespaco.com.br/?p=7. Have you see before this video? We are traing to decodify him, like Sanderson do. Maybe we can found something interesting.

I believe Slanderer gave it a go, but he doesn't seem to have gotten very far (he posted about it both here and on the HoL forums).