Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Stories for a Phone Book Options
MiaVRO
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:35:58 AM

Groups: Shoal

If anyone has any information on this. It would be greatly appreciated!
I thought i may have seen a photo posted regarding this, but i might be wrong
cgsheldon
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:59:49 AM

Stories for a Phone Book was published in New Writing 13; you can buy it off Amazon.com.

I do seem to remember someone posting a PDF or JPG copy on the old forum; anyone still have that?
CpVb006
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:00:19 AM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I've got them, but unfortunately, they are nothing so pretty as a .pdf. So, enjoy them in their .jpg glory, which is to say, not much glory at all.

Page 1
Page 2
cgsheldon
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:52:56 AM

Found on Google Book Search, Chris Plougheld's Inside Stories, an anthology of short stories of recent British writers, with exercises for the (Norwegian?) upper secondary school.

Steven's "Stories for a Phone Book" appears on pg.96 and 97; on pg.95 are the following questions:

Understanding
1. What is your immediate reaction to finding pages from a phone book in an anthology of prose fiction?
2. Phone books are about communication and identification: to make sure that you will reach the right person, the phone book gives you just enough information to identify the persons listed, usually by giving the address and, sometimes, title. What kind of information does this 'phone book' give?
3. Are there links between some of the listings?

Interpretation
1. In this text there is a clash between the publicly available information that we expect to find in a phone book and the private or intimate information that we actually get. How do you respond to the fact that this 'phone book' makes this kind of information public?
2. What does the text (and your response to it) tell us about our public and private lives and the relationship between them?
3. Can each entry be seen as (a fragment of) a micro story about this person? What kind of personality does the information give you a hint of? How do you fill in the gaps?
4. What is the effect of this blurring of the distinction between fiction and non-fiction?

And here's a video interview with Plougheld; can anyone translate?
MiaVRO
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:41:36 PM

I dunno how he did it, but while reading it, i couldn't help but laugh, or snicker... feel sad and say 'awwww'.... or even think hmmmm, i do that :P
It really got me thinking.I loved it sooo much!
I can see the influence from 253- Geoff Ryman of course.... but i liked this more :)
now, i wonder what my story for a phonebook would be....
Shadow Girl
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:39:37 AM

Wow, I just finished reading the pages. I loved that...I didn't think I would when I first started, but I really did love it. Sometimes, I have to wonder, it sounds a bit like the story for each person is being written by the person below them. It's probably not intended that way, but I do have to admit that even with such a small "story"...I find myself thinking of entire situations as I read each line.

And there it was, full of everything and overwhelming nothingness.
Leo went on, a false idea resting in a candy wrapper of societal perfection.

He had no idea what it meant to see, what it meant to know.

And there was no way for me to un-know. No way for me to un-see. No way I could ever shield myself in one of those brightly colored candy wrappers of pretend ignorance.

I think I wanted it that way, to be like Leo, but I knew that would never happen.

~A snippet of things to come.
timlarsson
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 6:48:22 PM

cgsheldon wrote:
Found on Google Book Search, Chris Plougheld's Inside Stories, an anthology of short stories of recent British writers, with exercises for the (Norwegian?) upper secondary school.

Steven's "Stories for a Phone Book" appears on pg.96 and 97; on pg.95 are the following questions:

Understanding
1. What is your immediate reaction to finding pages from a phone book in an anthology of prose fiction?
2. Phone books are about communication and identification: to make sure that you will reach the right person, the phone book gives you just enough information to identify the persons listed, usually by giving the address and, sometimes, title. What kind of information does this 'phone book' give?
3. Are there links between some of the listings?

Interpretation
1. In this text there is a clash between the publicly available information that we expect to find in a phone book and the private or intimate information that we actually get. How do you respond to the fact that this 'phone book' makes this kind of information public?
2. What does the text (and your response to it) tell us about our public and private lives and the relationship between them?
3. Can each entry be seen as (a fragment of) a micro story about this person? What kind of personality does the information give you a hint of? How do you fill in the gaps?
4. What is the effect of this blurring of the distinction between fiction and non-fiction?

And here's a video interview with Plougheld; can anyone translate?

I think it is, with approximately 99.9% accuracy that it's Danish, and not Norwegian.
For that reason, I can't really translate the youtube video accurately enough to write it down, but he doesn't say anything interesting at all, in my opinion.
He talks about the book, how it should be good to make the youth think and read about the youth and young minds and stuff... basically saying stuff why it's a good study book.