Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Real world locations in The Raw Shark Texts Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:53:51 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Hello folks,

Thought some of you might be interested to see a few of the real world locations that feature in The Raw Shark Texts.
Here are some Google Earth coordinates…

37°6'36.55"N / 25°22'20.26"E - The shadow of Ariadne's Arch on Naxos.

53°26'26.93"N / 1°55'33.46"W - The Willows Hotel, where Eric shelters from the flood.

53°26'12.59"N / 1°55'33.67"W - The bench from which Eric first sees Mr. Nobody.

53°27'11.88"N / 1°56'14.05"W - The hospital where Eric meets Mr Nobody and Scout.

53°28'56.03"N / 2°14'47.64"W - The alley off Deansgate, Manchester where Eric and Scout park the Jeep (the Waterstones through which they enter unspace is just a few doors down).

S
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:06:46 AM

Groups: Shoal

Probably pointing out the obvious but if you copy and paste the co-ordinates you need to replace the line with a forward slash on the last three (like the ones on the first two),
Ahh I know that bench well..

See in black and white, feel in slow motion....
CpVb006
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 2:30:29 AM

Groups: Shoal , Unspace Science Committee

I'll stick this is APDoE when I get a chance, because it's certainly very interesting, but for now, I thought this* was kind of neat. I plotted all those coordinates, in the order Eric visits them (hence the Willow Hotel appears twice) on a map. Not rerrible useful, but does give a real sense of his journey from the Willow on to unspace with Scout.

And CY, do you really? Please do explain.

*tinyurl doesn't seem to want to work here when I use markup code on it, for some reason. It tries to link to "http://tinyurl.com/c58czb%3Cbr/%3E" instead of the correct "tinyurl.com/c58czb". So, anyway, here's a direct link that should work: http://tinyurl.com/c58czb
Steven Hall
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 7:28:28 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Probably pointing out the obvious but if you copy and paste the co-ordinates you need to replace the line with a forward slash on the last three (like the ones on the first two)

Fixed

S
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:40:12 PM

Hey CpVb006, I assume you are talking about the bench. Yes I know it and have spent many an hour sat there thinking about life the universe and everything lol, its a great place to spend some quiet time and think/write etc, I'm thinking of putting a picture on of it.

heartbreak
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:50:34 PM

Conceptually yours... wrote:
Hey CpVb006, I assume you are talking about the bench. Yes I know it and have spent many an hour sat there thinking about life the universe and everything lol, its a great place to spend some quiet time and think/write etc, I'm thinking of putting a picture on of it.

Have you ever looked under that bench?
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 5:04:50 PM

Hey Heartbreak, I have.. and sorry but there is nothing there, after the second read of TRST I had a wander up there to think and decided to look under but could not find anything, after talking to Steven he says that there was originally something there* but it must have been taken, so having found nothing I decided to leave a note, it was on a small piece of blue lined writing paper and simply said "looking for Mr E Sanderson, nothing here will try Manchester" and I tucked it into a crack in a fence post in front of the bench. After a few weeks I went up again and the note was gone, we had had great weather in those weeks (for a change) and there was no way it could have fallen out, I am going back up soon to see if there is a reply.

*you will have to ask Steven what was there ;)

heartbreak
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 9:01:41 PM

That's great that you left a note. :D Let us know if you get a reply.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:16:50 AM

How amazing... Whilst photographing TRST real life locations for this thread I ran a search on underground Manchester (to try and find a small tunnel/bunker to represent unspace) and came across this item, (see below) this is great and I hope they do start doing tours, and soon.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/index.asp?Sessionx=IpqiNwImNwIkJlg6IHqjNwB6IA